Purpose of the course:
This course delivers 7 hours Accredited *CPD classroom and practical instruction and is aimed at operatives who may need to carry out high risk confined space entry refresher training which include non-standard entries and which, in consequence, makes rescue difficult (ie. complicated foul and storm water sewerage systems, chemical or fuel storage tanks/vessels).
It is likely that a hazard will be present at some time during the entry and the entry may involve complex procedures with work-specific controls and rescue arrangements in place. It may entail the use of escape or self-contained open circuit breathing apparatus, specialist detection equipment and resuscitation equipment. It will require the presence of personnel who have designated responsibilities for dealing with emergencies.
On completion of the course delegates should be able to continue to operate in high risk confined spaces, understand the risks that may be present or introduced and ensure that appropriate control measures are in place prior to entry.
What will be covered on the course:
- Overview of the Confined Spaces and Associated Regulations
- Reminder of “What is a confined space?”
- Overview of hazards associated with confined spaces
- Overview of problem atmospheres (gases and gas monitoring)
- Overview of Safe Systems of Work
- Overview of work team roles and duties
- Overview of First Aid and medical considerations
- Overview of typical confined space equipment and user checks
- Overview of user checks and assembly of Escape Breathing Apparatus (EBA)
- Overview of user checks and assembly of Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
- Practical entry exercise with gas monitor, harness, tripod and winch and EBA & SCBA
- Course duration: One day (9:00am – 5:00pm)
- Maximum instructor/delegate ratio: 1:8
- Delivery: Classroom based theory and practical training
- Assessment: Multiple choice test paper and practical skills assessment
- Certification: CPD Accredited Certificate of Training (valid for 3 years)
- Delegates must have a good command of written and spoken English
- Delegates will require suitable PPE (footwear, gloves and clothing)
- Delegates must be medically and physically fit to work in confined spaces and carry out manual handling (a self-certification questionnaire is to be completed on the course)