Purpose of the course:
This course delivers 14 hours Accredited *CPD classroom and practical instruction with assessment. It offers delegates theoretical and practical training to enable them to identify potential risks and hazards associated with rope access and set up for basic rope access work.
This course is ideally suited for those wishing to carry out work or inspections on sloping roofs that have no other means of fall protection, steep embankments or similar places where safe access is required.
On completion of the course delegates should be able to set up simple temporary rope access systems to carry out work at height safely. They will be able to carry out basic self-recovery techniques in the event of an incident. Where applicable, the course content follows current Health & Safety legislation, BS 8454: 2006 and the Advisory Committee for Work at Height Training (ACWAHT) syllabus – This is NOT an IRATA approved course.
What will be covered on the course:
- Overview of the Work at Height and associated regulations
- General hazards and risks associated with rope access
- PPE and harnesses pre-use checks and fitting
- Types of ropes, typical fitting and connections
- Anchorage points
- Basic knots and lashings
- Practical setting up for a rope access
- Practical rope access techniques
- Practical self-recovery techniques
- Written and practical assessments
- Course duration: Two days (9:00am – 5:00pm)
- Maximum instructor/delegate ratio: 1:6
- Delivery: Classroom based theory and practical training
- Assessment: Multiple choice test paper and practical skills assessment
- Certification: CPD Accredited Certificate of Training (valid for 3 years)
- Delegates must have a good command of written and spoken English
- Delegates must be medically and physically fit to work at height and carry out manual handling (a self-certification questionnaire is to be completed on the course)
- Delegates require basic PPE (gloves, sturdy footwear) and clothing suitable for the environment (FPE equipment will be provided)
- Delegates must have an aptitude for working at height